Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Projects to keep me busy

Steven and I got back Sunday evening from a trip to O'Fallon, MO to visit a prospective church there. The visit went GREAT and we are very excited that this may be the place God has for us!

Sidenote that I don't want to forget- While we were there, Steven gave a devotion to the pastor and deacons.  He was supposed to go 20-30 minutes.  This devotion was at like 8:30 in the morning, so Steven left the hotel while I was still half-asleep.  I went back to sleep, and had a dream that he came back to the hotel and got back in bed with me, woke me up, and told me that they had set a timer when he started the devotion, and it only went 9 minutes.  I remember being sooooooo sad that he hadn't gone any longer and thinking we wouldn't get the job because of it!

When I woke up for real, I had no idea if that was a dream or if it had really happened.  I had to ask Steven when I first saw him that day if it was or not!  I was super relieved to find out that it was a dream.

On our way home, we passed the AppleBee's that we stopped in for lunch the last time we left the St. Louis area- after our last visit to the Maryville church. We had come there to look at houses and set a starting date, but left finding out that that they couldn't go forward with giving Steven the position like they had thought. I remember how hard of a drive that was, and how confused we were. I remember calling my mom and just crying. I remember how we tried to have a nice lunch but we were just so disappointed and, well, devastated.

But I also remember a drive a few days later when we were headed to Tulsa to visit family. Steven and I talked for almost the entire 3 hour drive about how God is faithful. About how whether he wanted us in Maryville or somewhere else, He would get us there at the right time and it would be worth the wait. About how God called Steven to ministry for a reason and if we were faithful to Him, He would be faithful to us.

That weekend while we were in Tulsa, was when we heard from the O'Fallon church for the first time in months, that they had reviewed their budget and decided to move forward with finding a youth minister, and were we still interested? Coincidence? Maybe. But the timing was definitely a God-whisper to my heart that everything was going to be okay.

He has been faithful to us. He is good!

Obviously, nothing is official as he is still going through the interview process but it is so good to know that we are at least moving forward. That we will hopefully not have to send out a whole new batch of resume's and wait who-knows-how-long to hear back. That we actually have a possibility of being out of this apartment by the summer. That instead we might be in a house, with a puppy!

Anyway, on to the fun stuff!

I do not have this project 100% finished. But I am really close and wanted to go ahead and share it!


(I don't know how to rotate this picture??)

This is the calendar I made last October. It is just a 12X12 picture frame from Target, and then I used scrapbook paper and stickers to make the background. I used the cupcakes for a more "kitchen" theme. Every month I just wipe off the old month's info and start clean. Then throughout the month I just add whatever comes up.

I thought it was a good system until I realized that it was going to be a constant battle remembering everyone's birthdays during that specific month. Because it isn't a paper calendar, I can't just write everyone's bday on there at the beginning of the year. I needed a way to keep track of them so I can do a better job of sending cards to everyone.

I found the idea of getting a Rolodex and making cards for addresses, etc online and I thought that would be a great way to incorporate birthday's! However, I couldn't find Rolodex's anywhere and really didn't want to spend much to buy one online. So this is what I came up with...


I bought these little cards from Hobby Lobby ($2 for a package of 25 I believe). This is the Medium size. I then bought 5 pieces of "boy" scrapbook paper and 5 of "girl". I modge-podged the paper onto the tags, and then used stickers to add their day of the month and name. Finally, I hotglued those three hooks onto the back of my frame.


A close-up...


This is all of my birthday's. I actually used a really cheap bracelet and cut it open with wire-cutters to use as my chain. Ha! I have them organized from January to December so that whenever I get the calendar down to change the month around, I can easily just pick up the tags for that month.


I also made tags to separate the months. These are the "large" cards. They just make it easier to keep everything organized! (this is what I have left to make- I need 6 more of the month cards).

Thanks for looking. I'm hoping to have some more projects completed in the next couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment