Monday, April 4, 2011

Rockin' Robin (tweet tweet, tweet-a-lee)

I am so excited to share with you my new and improved key rack!

Last week I went to Salvation Army with my mom and saw this beauty for $2.97

It was dusty and neglected, but I saw potential in her.



When I got back from SA, my hubby asked me what I had gotten.  I told him I got our new key rack and showed it to him...  He just looked at it and said "oh."  lol.  So I had to prove to him that I could make her pretty again!

Here she is all cleaned up.




First I took it all apart, and sanded the wood down.  I spray painted the metal pieces with Krylon Satin Bright White, and the wood with Krylon Bahama Sea.



After she is put back together.  She looks good, and I could have stopped here and it would have been cute, but I had an idea...






I have no idea if this is the "right" way to do this or not, but it worked for me.  I found a fabric I loved which matched my blue, I got some quilt batting, and I sacrificed one of our abundance of cardboard boxes to add  a padded backing to the coat rack.

Last night I was so excited it was done and took several pictures of it for "after" pictures. 


That was before I saw the Ziplock bag with the hooks laying on the floor.  Goodness gracious, I tell you I am losing my mind!  The hooks would be an essential part of a key rack...



I proceeded to insert the hooks, and decided to make a cute fabric flower with some of my remnants.  (and used this tutorial.)


And, one more time...


I LOVE how it turned out!  I once again can't wait until we get our house so I will have somewhere to show it off!  Until then I will just stare at these pictures while it is packed up!  ha.

What I love, is how much money I didn't spend on it.  $3 for the rack, $2.50 for the fabric, and probably $1 worth of batting.  So the entire thing for $6.50 ish!  Can't beat that!

Oh, and the best part, is my hubby's reaction when he saw her done for the first time!  He very enthusiastically (almost surprisingly?) told me, "wow, babe, this looks good !"  Much better than the "oh" I received earlier.

Enjoy the Spring!

 


linking up to Thrifty Decor Chick Before and After Party

and

The DIY Show Off

1 comment:

  1. so CUTE! I love how you saw the potential in that piece. GREAT paint color and fabric!

    ReplyDelete