Saturday, June 9, 2012

Reflections

I have learned a lot from working at a nursing home.

To be with a group of people at such a challenging and final stage of their lives can make you think.  It's not a part of life that anyone really wants to think about... but because I work there, I do.   And I keep coming back to this passage:


19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

We have all heard this a million times...  "you can't take it with you when you die."  But working at the nursing home has reminded me, that you can't even take it with you to the nursing home!   If I am storing up treasures in things of this world- having the most fashionable clothes, newest car,  going on fancy trips...  I am going to be left with nothing in a very short amount of time.

If I am storing up treasures in building relationships, encouraging others, serving others in Jesus' name...  then and only then do I really have anything that will last for any amount of time.

We have a lady who never married, never had any kids.  She inherited a great amount of money and used that money to go on shopping sprees and literally became a hoarder.  Now, she is in the nursing home and I think I've seen her have visitors twice in the 9 months I've worked there.   She never leaves her room without her "purse" full of 40 pounds of stuff.  That is what she has now... this 40 lb bag of stuff... no people, just posessions.

We have another lady who also never married and never had any kids.  But she evidently spent her life enriching the lives of others.  She was a "mom" to each of her nieces and nephews and gave, gave, gave of her time and was active in her church.  Now she has visitors all. the. time.  She is miss popular.  She has deeply loved so many people, who in turn deeply love her and visit her.  She has impacted their lives in a positive way.

I want to be like lady #2.  I want to spend my life loving others and not wasting time on things that won't last.  I've heard this before but it has just started really "clicking" with my heart.  When I'm 90 and in a nursing home, I want someone to have been effected by my life.... I want to have impacted lives through our Lord's love.

I just pray that He will give me eyes to see the needs, ears to listen, a mouth to speak encouragement, and a heart to love on ALL of those He puts in my path.  And a boldness... because putting having the confidence to do so doesn't always come naturally to me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment