Saturday, April 7, 2012

Who Let the Dogs Out?

Barkley has been a very bored naughty dog this week.  He has ran away 3 times in the last 8 days.

Last Thursday, I thought it would be a great idea to bring Barkley to work with me for a whole day (his first time for that long).  He did GREAT.  In the morning, We had a fire drill while I was walking him through the halls and he didn't freak out or anything even though I know it scared him.  He did so good sitting with me during Exercise, and even did tricks in front of the Residents.

We were all out of the office taking Residents back from Exercise around 3:45.  I'm headed back to the Activity Room and my co-worker yells at me, "Go get your car, Barkley got out!".  Apparently a little boy opened up the office door and let him out to look at a puppy, then he went right out the front door and next door to the Villa's!  My boss was already headed to her car with her keys, so I hopped in with her.  I was so scared I was going to find him laying on the Outer Road, hit by a car...

We spotted B sniffing around the building, but of course when he saw me he thought it was a game and ran away.  We spent at least 15 minutes running after him, until finally I snatched him.  I called Steven and my mom on the way home and just cried.  I was so mad at him for making me chase after him like an idiot in front of my boss!

Monday, he ran away while I was at work.  He dug underneath our fence into our neighbor's fence, and our neighbor was such a dear to let him out to run free.  He ran up the street and next to Hwy K... the last place we ever want him to go because it's a a busy road with two lanes each way.  Finally he found a lady outside with her dog and she was able to hold onto him until Steven caught up.

So today Steven and I let B outside and were watching TV.  About half an hour later, someone rang our doorbelland asked if our dog was with us.  We said yes, he was in the back yard.  He asked if we were sure, because he thought he had just seen him running down Woodcrest.  I checked outside and sure enough, he had somehow escaped the yard!  So Steven and I got in the car and headed to where he said he'd seen him last.  We drove around the neighborhood next to ours for a while and stopped to ask anyone who was outside if they had seen him... most of them had so we followed their directions.  Finally we drove past him sniffing around someone's garage door and front porch!  We yelled out to him that we had a bone for him, which interested him enough to come up to the car, but he ran off as soon as we tried to grab him.  Steven chased after him and I stayed with the car so we could catch up to him if need be.  Apparently Barkley was chasing a rabbit.  We finally got him though, and found out that he had dug underneath the "door" part of our fence (a different hole than the one to our neighbors!)

After we got B, we went to our neighbor to thank him for coming over and telling us Barkley was missing.  He said he'd seen him in our front yard, but assumed he was on his yard stake.  A few minutes later, his dogs started going crazy and he looked out the window at Barkley running past his house!  He actually went out and chased him for a while before he came to our house, and even got in his car after we'd been gone for a while to check and see if we had found him.


Oh, boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment