Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Career Opportunities

Well, I had kind of a sad day at work yesterday!

My boss let me know that the girl I have been filling in for for the past 8 months is coming back on May 1.  And she is taking all of "my" shifts with her.

I had been told a couple of months ago, that she wouldn't be back until the end of May.  Then with Jenny's maternity leave, there would be hours for me until September.  So even though I knew when I took the position that this would be coming, I didn't think it would come so soon.

I had already signed off on taking some of my co-workers vacation days in May, but when those are over they won't have any shifts for me.

I may have cried a little.  :)  It's crazy to think about how hesitant I was about the job when I first took it, to how much I have grown to love the staff and residents now. 

Not to mention that the interview process is NEVER fun... and neither is getting used to a new place and people.

But God is in control, and he has been this entire time!  Ever since I took the job, I have been praying about where I would go after that.  My time at DG has given me great experience and references to put on my resume, that are more along the field of "Senior Living" than my previous experience.

An upside to my night, is there was a resident, R, who went to Rehab at Delmar Gardens for a few months.  While he was there he ALWAYS came to the Sing-A-Longs I led once a month on Monday nights and Saturday afternoons.  He was such a nice man, and I was so sad (for me... happy for him!) when in February he was well enough to move next door to the independent living apartments.  He asked me to visit him, and one Sunday I did with another co-worker.  Anyway, last night was a Sing-A-Long night, and I was "gathering" Residents I walked into the room and there was R!  He and his daughter had come over just for my activity and it just meant the world to me...

Time to become BFF's with careerbuilder, indeed, and craigslist as I look for job listings!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you have to get back in the job search...it's not fun! I'm currently looking for a job and it's just stressful. But God does have a plan, and that's the important thing to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry - it's all going to come together. Also, since they've told you when you could be leaving, don't hesitate to find something right away and - should it be the right fit for what you want - take it.

    ReplyDelete